TRAGIC NEWS – Excerpts of an email received from the Chairman of Grietjie this morning: “It is with very deep shock that I advise you that Rita Miljo, the owner/director of CARE, perished whilst in her house as the house burnt down last night. According to Paul, one of the staff there, 3 baboons perished as well – all the rest survived. Thanks to Joe Pearson for assisting on the scene. I was advised the cause of the blaze may have been gas, but this was opinion, and we should wait for the police report to establish the cause if they can”. Yesterday afternoon James and Sinhle, who had been out monitoring, were returning the vehicle to our house at 5pm and came across a leopard in our driveway near camp road! They tried to radio us but couldn’t get through so sadly we missed seeing it. This morning fresh tracks of lion were found by Joe at the grid entrance to the office area – I have been wondering where the lion have been as they haven’t been vocal for quite a few days.